Keith Kendal Consultants was established in 1987 with Keith Kendal C.Eng., F.I.Struct.E as its principal. The practice personnel has a wealth of experience gained over many years working with steelwork fabricators, decking, cladding manufacturers, roofing and cladding contractors, curtain walling and glazing contractors. The practice operates from its base in Glasgow and is ideally placed within easy reach of all major towns and cities within the central belt of Scotland.
The practice offers a full range of structural engineering consultancy services, particularly to the contracting, fabrication and manufacturing industries including:
- The design of all types of steel structures to the latest structural codes including full structural analysis, connection design and a full detailing service.
- The structural design and/or justification of rainscreen/over-claddings and carrier systems, including structural anchorage.
- The structural assessment and/or justification of building cladding envelopes, including performance specification analysis and primary/secondary supporting systems and anchorage.
- The analysis and design or justifications of structural glazing systems including primary/secondary supports and anchorage.
- Research and development of cladding systems and assemblies, including structural and environmental product testing and evaluations.
- The structural assessment of composite floor systems, composite beam analysis, including slim-floor, asymmetric beam, parallel beam, stub girder etc.
- Building envelope site investigations and inspections including risk assessment, leak detections, evaluations and general troubleshooting.
- The practice offers expert witness services in the event of litigation.
I have worked continuously in the construction industry and have particular technical expertise in the structural steelwork, cladding and building façade industries. I have been on a number of national and international technical committees including British Standard BS 5950: Part 4 The design of composite floors using profiled steel sheeting in buildings, British Standard BS 5427: Part 1 The use of profiled steel sheeting in buildings and ECCS TC7 European recommendations for design of sandwich cladding panels. In addition, the practice edited the National Federation of Roofing Contractors publication, Design guide to good roofing and cladding practice 1994 – 3rd edition.
I have a strong association with the University of Strathclyde and have carried out a number of CPD lectures on cladding and long span structures, as well as working on the development and testing of cladding systems and rainscreens. At the University of Manchester, I have worked on the structural analysis of many cladding profiles and cladding systems.